Employees' Compensation - Claim Procedures

  • Injury occurred arising out of and in the course of employment

    In the event of an employee sustaining injury arising out of and in the course of employment, the employer should send the injured employee to the government hospital, clinic or appointed doctor for medical treatment immediately. It is recommended to send the injured employee to a government hospital for medical treatment, as the government hospitals are better equipped and their charges are in line with the compensation that the employer is liable for under the Employees’ Compensation Ordinance.

  • Notification to the Commissioner for Labour

    The employer should notify the Labour Department of the death/incapacity of the employee injured as a result of a work accident by submitting either Form 2 or Form 2B (in duplicate) within 14 days of the accident. The forms can be obtained from the Labour Department or by downloading from its web site. A copy of the completed form should also be sent to the insurance company for records.

    • For 1-3 days sick leave (Simple procedure)

      If the sick leave granted does not exceed 3 days, the employer should notify the Commissioner for Labour by Form 2B. A copy of the form bearing the original signatures of the employer and employee together with the company chop should be sent to the insurance company.

    • For 4 -7 days sick leave (Direct settlement)

      If the injured employee is granted 4 to 7 days sick leave and has not suffered any permanent incapacity, the employer can enter into direct settlement agreement with the injured employee and notify the Commissioner for Labour by Form 2 (with section H "Direct Settlement" duly completed).

    • For sick leave exceeding 7 days or death

      The employer should notify the Commissioner for Labour by Form 2.

  • Notification to the insurance company

    The following documents relating to the injured employee have to be submitted to the insurance company for compensation claim:

    • Copy of Form 2 or Form 2B
    • Original medical certificate
    • Original medical expense receipts
    • Copy of identity document
  • Medical clearance and assessment

    After final medical examination, the injured employee is required to bring along a copy of the Sick Leave Certificate to attend medical clearance or assessment at the Occupational Medicine Unit of the Labour Department as arranged by the Labour Department or doctor.

  • Compensation claim
    Upon receipt of Form 7 (Certificate of Assessment) and Form 5 (Certificate of Compensation Assessment) issued by the Commissioner for Labour, the employer should forward the original of the said forms to the insurance company as supporting documents for claiming compensation under the policy.
Offices of the Employees’ Compensation Division of the Labour Department:
Address Telephone No.
16/F, Southern Centre, 130 Hennessy Road, Hong Kong 2835 2039
10/F, Cheung Sha Wan Government Offices, 303 Cheung Sha Wan Road, Kowloon 2150 6526
6/F, Tsuen Wan Government Offices, 38 Sai Lau Kok, Tsuen Wan, N.T. 2417 6227
2/F, Shatin Government Offices, 1 Sheung Wo Che Road, Shatin, N.T. 2158 5539

The above information is provided for reference only. The Company does not accept liabilities for any errors or omissions. Go to Labour Department: www.info.gov.hk/labour

Click here to download the Employee’s Compensation Flow Diagram.

Search Results